top of page
stained glass

Heritage

The people of West Torrington worshipped on this site for over 900 years between the 12th century when the first church was built and 2011 when it was finally made redundant. St Gilbert of Sempringham was the incumbent here after he inherited the manor from his father, Jocelyn, in 1130 and he later transferred the church to the nearby Gilbertine priory of Bullington. The church was rebuilt in the 14th century as a two-aisle nave and chancel. This medieval church reputedly became ‘ruinous and dilapidated’ by 1770 and in that year, the north aisle was removed and the chancel rebuilt at the expense of landowner, George Harrison, because the parishioners could not afford the repairs. In 1860, the church was found to once again be in a dilapidated state with considerable rain ingress. Funds were raised by donation and enlargement of the church occurred between 1860 and 1862 with a new porch, new chancel, new roof to the nave, reseating, and general repairs. It reopened on 3 July 1862. This is the building you see now.

Let's explore...

The Porch

The Porch contains a First World War Memorial, consisting of a white marble tablet with a black border and an inscription as follows: “West Torrington. In ever grateful memory to the men of this village who fought in the great war 1914-19. Gave their lives. Were wounded. Returned safely. By Their Sacrifice We Live”. The memorial is unusual in celebrating the safe return of the parishioners, including a female nurse, as well as commemorating those who lost their lives. There is no Second World War Memorial. While several villagers served in the armed forces we did not lose anyone in the 1939-45 war. Note the head of a bishop and on the other side is that a king or a queen?

a white marble war memorial

Stained glass

The West Window is 20th century and depicts the nativity. The stable has a straw thatch and the angel and Mary kneel on sheaves of wheat. A shaft of gold and silver light shines onto the Christ child lying on a clean white sheet. The quotation beneath reads “The Word was made flesh and dwelt amongst us.” In the corner the dedication is: “To the Glory of God. This window is erected in loving memory of Ernestine M Gerald, also George M Butler and his wife Georgina E W Butler RIP.” The window was unveiled in January 1936. George M Butler was church warden of West Torrington for many years and rector’s warden with the Rev H Fuller and the Rev MSH Spink. He is buried in the churchyard by the East Window. The east window is by Clayton & Bell and dates from 1884. The central light is a fine depiction of the Crucifixion with tendrils of passion flowers; the left light shows the Virgin Mary and the right light St Peter. The dedication beneath is partly obscured; “To the Glory of God and in Loving Memory of William George Ernest Gerald BA of St John’s College Oxford who died 15 January 1883 aged 25 years this window is erected RIP.”

stained glass image of mary and jesus

Churchyard cross

The original section of the fourteenth-century cross is the top step and the bottom half of the shaft, marked just below the join with the date 1700. The structure was rebuilt and placed on the two lower steps in 1880s. The head of the cross depicts the Crucifixion on the west face and the Madonna and Child to the east. After the death of Revd T W Mossman the steps were engraved in his memory. Part of the text reads “The steps of this cross were restored by friends in ever loving memory of Rev Thomas Wimberley Mossman and Ann his wife.”

large stone cross

Font

A beautiful Norman lead-lined tub font with beaded intersecting arches of a double arcade and scalloped capitals, dating from around 1100. The base it stands on is 19th century and the oak lid is 20th century.

a norman stone font

Wall paintings

There appear to be wall paintings either side of the East Window. There are also patterns on the walls behind the choir pews. During the incumbency of the Revd Thomas Wimberley Mossman, who served here from 1859-1885, the church was restored under architect R J Withers in 1860. The chancel was decorated in High Church style as shown by the decoration around the aumbry. The outer design here is probably stenciled, the moulding painted in red with gilding. See also the door to the vestry.

Wall painting decoration

Project Name

The two buttresses that support the tower belong to the original medieval church.

medieval stone butresses
bottom of page